MORE TOURIST INFORMATIONMORE TOURIST INFORMATION
CONIL DE LA FRONTERA
Conil, synonymous with beaches, sun and peace. A town with its own identity, where the friendliness and good atmosphere of its locals can transform your visit into an unforgettable experience. Thanks to its unevenness, maintains those roots of a coastal town with a marine atmosphere that looks out to the sea from each terrace. Not to mention the incredible and magical sunsets and extensive beaches where you can get lost in search of tranquility.
If you want to make a cultural visit, we will accompany you on our route
Church of Santa Catalina
It is built on the old church, dated from the XV century, of Santa Catalina in the square of the same name. In 1411 The Guzmans authorized the construction by initially raising a Mudejar temple from which today it is hidden by the current parish.
The original elements are scarce due to the reconstructions that the church suffered from the beginning of the 17th century. In this first work elements such as the Bell Tower were touched, the Sacristy and the High Altar. In the 18th century, a second reform was carried out, this time abroad. What we can see today is the result of the works suffered in the 19th century, In this case, no previous element was destroyed, but they were hidden.. The works ended in 1891.
It is one of the most emblematic historical monuments of the city, built by Alonso Pérez de Guzmán in the 14th century, it was part of the old castle and the walls that formerly protected the city. If you dare, you can climb the tower from where you can enjoy a spectacular panoramic view of the entire municipality and the Andalusian coast.. From the highest, the image of endless whitewashed little houses in contrast to the ever-blue sky of Conil, It is a stamp that will remain engraved on your retina for a long time.
The light here is incredible and, yes like us, you are lucky to be able to enjoy the visit at sunset, you are going to enjoy one of the best sunsets you have ever seen.
Church of Our Father Jesús Nazareno
Built in 1592 for the brotherhood of Our Father Jesus Nazareno attached to the Hospital de la Misericordia. The master bricklayer was Mateo Hariza and, Francisco de Medina and Bartolomé Hernández Ramírez, butler and older brother respectively. It was roofed with wooden beams brought from Sanlúcar de Barrameda.
Inside the hermitage is a chapel with its iron gate and altar dedicated to Our Lady of Guadalupe, paid in 1720 for D. Miguel Calderón de la Barca, natural of this villa. The image of San Sebastián is deposited in this hermitage from the parish of Santa Catalina, villa pattern, highly valuable carving by sculptor Pedro Daín.
According to popular tradition this image was venerated in a hermitage, disappeared today, who was in the place known for “The Saint”. Little documentation exists on this, but we can affirm that in 1589 they were older brothers of the brotherhood of San Sebastián, from the town of Conil, Gómez García Moreno and Pedro González-Manuel.
Gate of the Villa
We then entered among labyrinthine alleys that allow us to observe that today there are still vestiges of medieval fortifications and walls of past centuries. It is the example of the Puerta de la Villa from the 16th century, after passing through the Plaza de España where we find the monument to José Saramago.
Church of Mercy
Inside is an ivory carving of Christ from the Philippines. It is an 18th century building that used to house the poor families of the municipality. Finishing our little walk we pass in front of the Town Hall, in addition to other baroque houses that are still preserved in the city (Arrafán House) or from the colonial era (house of the Count of the Five Towers).
BEACHES AND COVES OF CONIL
Conil's beaches are known for their water quality, the arena and for its services, and especially for its beauty. The coast of Conil has different types of beaches, from intimate coves of spectacular beauty, to extensive and wide beaches with no construction, and in which you can enjoy its completely virgin state.
- El Palmar beach: Virgin beach, family character, very wide and little crowded. Excellent beach to spend the summer in tranquility.
- Castilnovo beach: It is very little frequented and it is usually practiced nudism. To access it is recommended to cross the new bridge over the salty river, or access from El Palmar beach, leaving the car at the end of the road that is parallel to Palmar.
- Bateles Beach: It is the beach in front of Conil, at the mouth of the Rio Salado.
- Chorrillo Beach: It is located between the Bateles and the Fontanilla. With a youthful atmosphere.
- La Fontanilla beach: Family character beach, shallow and with a large number of services.
- El Roqueo Beach: Beach located on the cliffs of Conil and of great beauty. The beach is very reduced at high tide.
- La Fuente del Gallo beach: It is located in the quiet urbanization of Fuente del Gallo, we will enter it with the famous Tres Piedras. It is a beach of great beauty, especially at sunset. It is family friendly.
- Puntalejo cove: The last beach you can walk to from Conil. It is isolated from the Fuente del Gallo beach when the tide rises, it is frequented when the east wind blows.
- Oil Creek: It is the largest and best known of the coves of Conil. It is located very close to the port of Conil.
- Roche or Poniente coves: Small pristine coves and cliffs easily accessible (with stairs) that are characterized by their extraordinary beauty and the practice of nudism.
- Roche Beach: large beach in front of the Roche urbanization. It has the advantage that it is little frequented, since the main accesses are in the Roche Residencial private urbanization.
- Torre del Puerco beach: Beach that is at the end of the municipality of Conil, undeveloped. It is a high quality beach, and not excessively frequented.
Other nearby beaches, with infinite beauty and less than an hour from Conil they are:
- Barrosa Beach: Beach belonging to Chiclana, It is a huge beach that has many services.
- La Mangueta Beach: Virgin beach without services or urbanizations, unaffordable and frequented mainly by naturists seeking privacy.
- Zahora beach: Shallow beach (ideal children), low waves, of fine golden sand. It has little parking. It has restaurants, accommodation in hostels and houses for rent in Zahora are offered by individuals.
- Marisucia beach: Located next to the Trafalgar lighthouse. Its waters are clean and crystalline and with many reefs, making it ideal for scuba diving..
- Los Caños de Meca Beach: Not very wide beach with many services.
- Zahara de los Atunes beach: Beautiful beach, frequented in its area near the town but so extensive that you can go where nobody bothers you. Of fine sand and crystal clear waters. It is dangerous due to its currents in the part of the Lighthouse.
- Bolonia beach: Beautiful beach located next to the ruins of Baelo Claudia. It is characterized by the presence of a huge fine white sand dune, formed by the east wind of the area. It has restaurant and parking services.
EL PALMAR (FRONTIER VEJER)
Considered one of the most pristine areas of the province of Cádiz, it is one of the best beaches in Andalusia. It is a beautiful and huge beach of fine golden sand, from 8 kilometres, and an average width of 80 meters, with extraordinary conditions for surfing, bodyboarding, and different adventure sports. Its waters are very clean and shallow so they invite you to swim and make it an ideal beach for children.
Although there are no urbanizations, it has many services such as small shops, besides lifeguards, surveillance and cleaning services. You can also find outdoor car parks. Due to its services and the quality of its beach, El Palmar has the Q for Tourist quality granted by the Institute for Spanish Tourist Quality.
El Palmar beach
- The stretch from Castilnovo beach, in Conil de la Frontera, Even the Torre de Torrenueva is a very quiet area frequented by all types of public, in which some dare with naturism, especially the further we go into Castilnovo. Out of high season (July and August) pets are accepted.
- From Torrenueva to the Casa Francisco restaurant, located near the main entrance to El Palmar, is where most surf schools and restaurants are concentrated, a very busy area for young people, families and surfers.
- Continuing to the end of the road, We find several beach bars and various places that attract most of the young public.
- The last stretch from El Palmar beach to Mangueta beach, belonging to Barbate, It is the most isolated area for those seeking more tranquility.
Nomad Market and Baraka
On the El Palmar promenade, in front of the beach, make their way through dozens of beach bars, bars and surf shops two craft markets: the ‘Nomad’ Crafts Market and the ‘Baraka’ Market. Both with a more casual and alternative look. In its outdoor stalls you can find craft items, imitation jewelry, footwear, leather, clothing and colorful textile accessories for the home where hammocks are not lacking. There are also spaces designed for the entertainment of the little ones. Having the beach in front gives it a very summery spirit.
Until the end of summer 12 a 24 hours.